Rockit™ apple cardamom tonic
An elevated drink that is non-alcoholic and punchy for enjoying anytime by Petite Sweets NZ
- Chopping the apples into batons helps increase the surface area for the beautiful flavours to develop.
- Macerate the apples with sugar for 2 days before adding the cider vinegar - it gives you the best rosy colour and amplifies the apple flavours. It takes 5 to 7 days before it's ready, but can keep for a month if kept in the fridge.
Ingredients (Makes 250ml Tonic base)
- 5 miniature Rockit apples, cored and chopped into thin batons 250g net
- 5 green cardamom pods gently cracked open
- 125g brown sugar
- 125ml apple cider vinegar
To make the Apple Cardamom Tonic:
- Chop apples into batons. Place them in a medium bowl, add brown sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the opened cardamom pods and seeds. Transfer to a covered jar for 48 hours till all sugars have dissolved.
- Add in apple cider vinegar, stir thoroughly and leave in a cool dark place (eg Pantry or garage) for 3 to 5 days. Everyday, give the contents a good stir. Taste it each day from day 3 onwards.
- Once the flavor is intense enough for your liking and all of the sugar has dissolved, strain out the solids.
- Store the tonic in the refrigerator for up to a month.
To make an Apple Cardamom Tonic mocktail:
- 120ml Apple Cardamom Tonic
- 400ml Sparkling or soda water
- Ice cubes, regular and large
- Fill a large mixing glass halfway with regular ice cubes.
- Add Apple Cardamom Tonic, top with sparkling or soda water.
- Stir well and pour into individual glasses with large ice cubes to serve.
- Garnish with extra apple slices.
- Find your own favourite ratios by testing different quantities of Tonic and with flavoured sodas too.
- To make it alcoholic, try adding ciders.